sophie calle

sophie calle
french writer, photographer, installation artist, conceptual artist, examiner of identity, intimacy and human vulnerability.



"French conceptual artist Sophie Calle has invited guests into her temporary bedroom in the Eiffel Tower, worked as a maid to photograph strangers’ travel possessions, collaborated on a fictional character with writer Paul Auster, and been followed by a private detective at her own request. Her latest turn, at New York gallery Paula Cooper, finds Calle dealing with a lover’s breakup via email, using the traumatic experience to explore issues of intimacy vs. mass technology."

Sophia Calle
Take Care of Yourself
April 9 - June 6, 2009
534 W 21st Street

NEW YORK -- The Paula Cooper Gallery is pleased to present the first U.S. exhibition of Sophie Calle’s "Take Care of Yourself," a body of work created for the French Pavilion of the 2007 Venice Biennale. The show will open on 9 April 2009 and will remain on view through May at 534 West 21st Street.

I received an email telling me it was over.
I didn't know how to respond.
It was almost as if it hadn't been meant for me.
It ended with the words, "Take care of yourself."
And so I did.
I asked 107 women (including two made from wood and one with feathers),
chosen for their profession or skills, to interpret this letter.
To analyze it, comment on it, dance it, sing it.
Dissect it. Exhaust it. Understand it for me.
Answer for me.
It was a way of taking the time to break up.
A way of taking care of myself.







///////////////////// sophie calle is punk. //////////////////////