george sand (lucile aurore dupin)

19th-century french romantic author, novelist, playwright, memoirist, (feminist).

"...people think it very natural and pardonable to trifle with what is most sacred when dealing with women: women do not count in the social or moral order. I solemnly vow--and this is the first glimmer of courage and ambition in my life!--that I shall raise woman from her abject position, both through my self and my writing, God will help me!...let female slavery also have its Spartacus. That shall I be, or perish in the attempt."

-George Sand in a letter to Frederic Girerd, 1837


"I ask the support of no one, neither to kill someone for me, gather a bouquet, correct a proof, nor to go with me to the theater. I go there on my own, as a man, by choice; and when I want flowers, I go on foot, by myself, to the Alps."


"My profession is to be free."



"One is happy as a result of one's own efforts, once one knows the necessary ingredients of happiness — simple tastes, a certain degree of courage, self denial to a point, love of work, and, above all, a clear conscience. Happiness is no vague dream, of that I now feel certain."


"Art is not a study of positive reality, it is the seeking for ideal truth."

"We cannot tear out a single page of our life, but we can throw the whole book in the fire. " (from Mauprat, 1837)


//////george sand is punk.//////

No comments:

Post a Comment